NorthEast Wind Forum Index

SearchSearch   Forum SubscriptionsForum Subscriptions   FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo Gallery   CalendarCalendar ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   

What to do if you fall through the ice video.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorthEast Wind Forum Index -> Preparing for when things go wrong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: kitesurfing in on Reply with quote

The only good think out of melting ice on a favorite snowkiting spot is that if one gets south of it kitesurfing in on! Two days ago I had a wonderful 3 hours session kitesurfing at Croton point park air 45 degrees.
SethP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to let everyone know I tried this today, and it really works! I put on my drysuit and went into the lake by my house. A few people have "deicers" that keep areas near shore free of ice.

I went in one of these areas and swam to the edge of the ice. I got flat on my stomach, and getting on the ice was trivial -- a few kicks and downward pressure with my hands, like a pushup, and I was out of the water in just a few seconds.

I then went back in and tried to get up vertically, like you would typically be if you fell in. Without ice claws, I think it's impossible. It was really interesting to see this. No matter what I tried, there was no way to get on the ice from this position.

So...keep in mind how simple and easy it is to get out when you lie flat.

Of course, someone driving by saw me and called 911 to report that someone fell through the ice. The local police & fire showed up en masse to rescue me...so if you are going to try this, make sure you call your local PD to let them know in advance!

Seth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorthEast Wind Forum Index -> Preparing for when things go wrong All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: